People living in West Leicestershire are being urged to hop aboard a health bus and get support to achieve their New Year resolutions.
As part of a special month-long New Year, New You campaign helping people to be healthier in 2014, the health bus will be touring West Leicestershire for a week packed with health information, quizzes and giveaways targeted at helping them to give up smoking, cut down on alcohol and lose weight.
People will be able to pick up a Quit Kit to stub out their habit, or try a smoking addiction test; grab a drinks tracker and find out how many calories there really are in their favourite tipple; as well as checking to see if they have a healthy BMI and getting tips on how to lose weight through a 12-week weight loss plan.
The New Year, New You campaign will also be reaching out to people through Facebook and Twitter during January, providing information and advice as well as interactive tools which are just a click away on WL CCG’s website at www.westleicestershireccg.nhs.uk/newyear
People are also being encouraged to share their New Year resolution struggles and successes with others on WL CCG’s Facebook page.
Dr Nick Pulman, a GP and chairman of WL CCG, said: “Every January many of us will start to think about what we want to change about ourselves to make 2014 happier and healthier than the year before, but it can be hard to know exactly where to start.
“Our New Year, New You campaign is the perfect place to get plenty of advice, support and helpful information on how to give up smoking, cut down on alcohol or lose weight and enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
“As part of this month-long campaign we are also hoping people will share their struggles and successes with others by visiting our Facebook page and leaving a diary entry that could inspire someone else.”
The health bus will be making the following stops:
- Wednesday 8 January from 10.30am-1pm at West Leicestershire Clinical Commissioning Group’s HQ on Woodgate in Loughborough; 1.30pm-3pm at John Storer House in Ward’s End, Loughborough; then 3pm-4.30pm at the Urgent Care Centre, Hospital Way, Loughborough
- Thursday 9 January from 10am-4pm at Tesco in Resolution Road, Ashby-de-la-Zouch
- Friday 10 January from 10am-4pm at Asda in Ashby Road, Coalville
- Saturday 11 January from 10am-4pm at Asda in Newtown Road, Nuneaton
- Sunday 12 January from 10am-1pm at the Urgent Care Centre, In Hospital Way, Loughborough; and 2pm-4pm at Asda in Ashby Road, Coalville
- Monday 13 January from 10am-1pm at Asda in Barkby Thorpe Lane, Thurmaston, and then from 2pm-4pm at Loughborough Market Place
Dr Mike McHugh, a consultant in public health for Leicestershire, added: “By targeting lifestyles that adversely affect health, such as smoking, excessive drinking and obesity, we can make a real difference to health outcomes and help people to reduce their risk of developing a long term health condition and also improve their chances of living longer.”