Next weekend - Friday 28 April to Monday 1 May - is early May Bank Holiday weekend, so here are some top tips to help make sure you and your families stay well.
• Plan ahead: Check your daily mediation to make sure have enough to last over the bank holiday weekend. Running out of daily medication could have serious consequences for those who rely on drugs to help control a condition or illness.
• GP surgery opening times: Find out when your GP surgery is open and order any necessary repeat prescriptions in advance, so you can collect them before the weekend and have them to hand. If you call your GP practice when it is closed, often a recorded message will advise the contact numbers for out-of-hours support.
• Think Pharmacist First: Remember your local Pharmacist can give you advice on the best treatment or medication to so you can treat minor ailments at home.
• Self-help: Aches, pains and colds can often be effectively treated at home with readily available medicine such as pain relief, cough mixture and cold remedies. So, it’s important to make sure your medicine cabinet at home is well stocked and contains sufficient over-the-counter medicines from your pharmacist to treat minor ailments.
• Stings and Bites: Prevent stings and bites by covering up and applying insect repellent. Take care especially in the late afternoon and early evening, as insects can become more active as the temperature cools. If you are bitten, consult your pharmacist for advice.
Dr. Nick Wilmott, GP and Clinical Lead at West Leicestershire Clinical Commissioning Group, said:
“By planning ahead and following these simple tips in the lead up to the Bank Holiday weekend, you can help stay well.
“However, if you become unwell and need advice or medical treatment quickly, then you should call NHS 111, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. By calling NHS 111 you will be assessed, given advice and directed straightaway to the local service that can best meet your needs.”
If you are a patient registered with any Leicester City GP practice, you can use one of the three Leicester City Healthcare Hubs. Appointments are available between 8am and 8pm, 7days a week at Westcotes Health Centre. Belgrave Health Centre and Saffron Health offer appointments from 6.30pm until 10pm weekdays and at weekends and bank holidays 12 noon until 8pm. To book an appointment call Leicester 366 0560 or NHS 111. Appointments can be booked for the same day or up to 48 hours in advance.
For more information on opening times for services over the Bank Holiday visit www.staywell-llr.org.uk