More than just prescriptions
Pharmacists, or chemists, are experts in medicines and how they work and play a key part in providing healthcare to patients. They can help you decide whether or not you need to see a GP and you can talk to them in confidence about your symptoms, without an appointment.
Your local pharmacy can offer the following services:
- prescription dispensing (including repeat prescriptions)
- safe disposal of unwanted medicines
- health and lifestyle advice, such as help to quit smoking, losing weight and lowering blood pressure
- suggesting where to go for further support, advice or treatment
- advice about, and treatment of, minor ailments and conditions without prescription
Some pharmacists also offer additional services including:
- help with treating long term conditions, such as diabetes, coronary heart problems and asthma
- sit down, face to face advice on how to use your medication properly
- providing emergency contraception
To find your nearest pharmacy click here.