On the first-ever World Patient Safety Day today (17 September 2019), the World Health Organisation (WHO) will launch a global campaign to create awareness of patient safety and urge people to show their commitment to making healthcare safer.
No-one should be harmed in healthcare and yet, worldwide, there are:
- 134 million adverse events each year due to unsafe care in hospitals in low- and middle-income countries, contributing to 2.6 million deaths annually
- 15% of hospital expenses can going on treating patient safety failures in OECD countries
- 4 out of 10 patients harmed in primary and ambulatory settings; up to 80% of harm in these settings can be avoided
Across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland (LLR) healthcare staff will be posting pics of their pledges to speak up for patient safety. You can see some pledges from West Leicestershire CCG in the picture above.
- You can follow updates on social media using the hashtag #WorldPatinetSafetyDay.
- Find out more about World Patient Safety Day here.